Monday 24 July 2017

24th July: Robert Graves

Robert Graves, poet and novelist was born on this date in 1895. He wrote I, Claudius.


  1. There's no money in poetry, but then there's no poetry in money, either.
  2. The remarkable thing about Shakespeare is that he really is very good, in spite of all the people who say he is very good.
  3. If I were a girl, I'd despair. The supply of good women far exceeds that of the men who deserve them.
  4. Genius not only diagnoses the situation but supplies the answers.
  5. To be a poet is a condition rather than a profession.
  6. In love as in sport, the amateur status must be strictly maintained.
  7. Poetry began in the matriarchal age, and derives its magic from the moon, not from the sun.
  8. Religious fanaticism is the most dangerous form of insanity.
  9. I love, therefore I am.
  10. Every English poet should master the rules of grammar before he attempts to bend or break them.



Browse other topics I've covered in this blog - HERE.

Like my Facebook page for news of Topical Ten posts posts on my writing blog, a weekly writing quote and news of upcoming publications

No comments:

Post a Comment