Saturday 28 November 2015

29 November: Louisa May Alcott

Louisa M Alcott wrote the classic novel Little Women, and was born on this date in 1832.

  1. I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship.
  2. Money is the root of all evil, and yet it is such a useful root that we cannot get on without it any more than we can without potatoes.
  3. Women have been called queens for a long time, but the kingdom given them isn't worth ruling.
  4. A faithful friend is a strong defence; And he that hath found him hath found a treasure.
  5. Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead.
  6. I've got the key to my castle in the air, but whether I can unlock the door remains to be seen.
  7. I want to do something splendid… Something heroic or wonderful that won’t be forgotten after I’m dead… I think I shall write books.
  8. You don’t need scores of suitors. You need only one… if he’s the right one.
  9. There is always light behind the clouds.
  10. She preferred imaginary heroes to real ones, because when tired of them, the former could be shut up in the tin kitchen till called for, and the latter were less manageable.

No comments:

Post a Comment