Tuesday 9 July 2019

9 July: Mervyn Peake Quotes

On this date in 1911, Mervyn Peake, writer best known for the Gormenghast books was born. Some words of wisdom from him.

  1. For love rang out before the chapel bell.
  2. Lingering is so very lonely when one lingers all alone.
  3. To live at all is miracle enough.
  4. I want a lot to eat, I'm going to think today.
  5. Mount and begone. The world awaits you.
  6. it was only fear that held people together. The fear of being alone and the fear of being different.
  7. Seeing an Earl as an owl on a mantelpiece, and having part of one's face removed by a cat, both on the same morning, can temporarily undermine the self-control of any man.
  8. But haven't all ambitious people something of the monstrous about them?
  9. I am your boat! I am your crew Your rudder and your mast - Your friend, I am your limpet too And your elastoplast.
  10. For what is more lovable than failure?

No comments:

Post a Comment