Thursday 10 January 2019

January 10: Mary Norton and the Borrowers

Mary Norton is a children's writer most famous for her series The Borrowers. She was born on January 10 1903. Here are some quotes from her and the Borrowers.


  1. Stories never really end. They can go on and on and on. It's just that sometimes, at a certain point, one stops telling them.
  2. Misfortunes make us wise.
  3. The past is experience, that's all you got to learn from.
  4. In this life you got to see what is, as you might say, and then face up to what you wish there wasn’t.
  5. I'm no lady; I'm a member of Congress, and I'll proceed on that basis.
  6. It's so awful and sad to belong to a race that no sane person believes in.
  7. Children could say anything, Arrietty knew, and enjoy saying it - knowing always they were safe and wrong.
  8. Human beans are for borrowers - like bread for butter!
  9. We may be small but heaven help anyone who thinks he might squish us.
  10. A Borrower is quiet, conscientious, and inconspicuous. We don't steal; we borrow.

I write fiction, too! My characters include some British superheroes and a psychic detective. You never know, your new favourite could be here! You won't know unless you look...


    Browse other topics I've covered in this blog - HERE.

    Like my Facebook page for news of Topical Ten posts, posts on my writing blog, and news of upcoming publications.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment