Tuesday 15 August 2017

28th August: John Betjeman Quotes

John Betjeman, former English poet Laureate, was born in 1906. 10 quotes:


  1. I don't think I am any good. If I thought I was any good, I wouldn't be.
  2. Childhood is measured out by sounds and smells and sights, before the dark hour of reason grows.
  3. People's backyards are much more interesting than their front gardens, and houses that back on to railways are public benefactors.
  4. Saint Pancras was a fourteen-year old Christian boy who was martyred in Rome in AD 304 by the Emperor Diocletian. In England he is better known as a railway station.
  5. It's strange that those we miss the most Are those we take for granted.
  6. On our deathbeds we're not going to regret all the work we didn't do. We're going to regret all the sex we didn't have!
  7. History must not be written with bias, and both sides must be given, even if there is only one side.
  8. One mark of good verse is surprise.
  9. I ought to warn you that my verse is of no interest to people who can think.
  10. And now, dear Lord, I cannot wait Because I have a luncheon date.



Browse other topics I've covered in this blog - HERE.

Like my Facebook page for news of Topical Ten posts posts on my writing blog, a weekly writing quote and news of upcoming publications

No comments:

Post a Comment