Thursday 7 April 2016

8th April: Barbara Kingsolver

10 quotes from Barbara Kingsolver, who was born on this date in 1955.


  1. Stop a minute, right where you are. Relax your shoulders, shake your head and spine like a dog shaking off cold water. Tell that imperious voice in your head to be still.
  2. Every minute with a child takes seven minutes off your life.
  3. Life always provides me with better jokes than any I could invent.
  4. The friend who holds your hand and says the wrong thing is made of dearer stuff than the one who stays away.
  5. Pain reaches the heart with electrical speed, but truth moves to the heart as slowly as a glacier.
  6. Good fiction creates empathy. A novel takes you somewhere and asks you to look through the eyes of another person, to live another life.
  7. Motherhood is so sentimentalised and romanticised in our culture. It's practically against the law to say there are moments in the day when you hate your children. Everyone actually has those moments.
  8. People often ask how I discipline myself to write. I can't begin to understand the question. For me, the discipline is turning off the computer and leaving my desk to do something else.
  9. I'm not pretending to be ingenuous; I know what I'm doing.
  10. Fiction and essays can create empathy for the theoretical stranger.

No comments:

Post a Comment