Thursday 18 February 2016

February 18: Toni Morrison

The writer Toni Morrison was born on this date in 1931. Here are ten of her words of wisdom:



  1. If you surrendered to the air, you could ride it.
  2. As you enter positions of trust and power, dream a little before you think.
  3. If you're going to hold someone down you're going to have to hold on by the other end of the chain. You are confined by your own repression.
  4. Love is or it ain't. Thin love ain't love at all.
  5. If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.
  6. Make a difference about something other than yourselves.
  7. I'm not entangled in shaping my work according to other people's views of how I should have done it.
  8. Freeing yourself was one thing; claiming ownership of that freed self was another.
  9. You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.
  10. I didn't fall in love, I rose in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment