Friday 27 July 2018

27 July: Hilaire Belloc Quotes

Today's birthday is Hilaire Belloc, writer, poet, satirist, born in 1870. Here's what he had to say about life, love, death and... tea.

  1. We wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfilment.
  2. When I am dead, I hope it may be said: His sins were scarlet, but his books were read.
  3. Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun.
  4. I'm tired of love; I'm still more tired of rhyme; but money gives me pleasure all the time.
  5. Is there no Latin word for Tea? Upon my soul, if I had known that I would have let the vulgar stuff alone.
  6. The control of the production of wealth is the control of human life itself.
  7. These are the advantages of travel, that one meets so many men whom one would otherwise never meet, and that one feeds as it were upon the complexity of mankind.
  8. Any subject can be made interesting, and therefore any subject can be made boring.
  9. If we are to be happy, decent and secure of our souls: drink some kind of fermented liquor with one's food; go on the water from time to time; dance on occasions, and sing in a chorus.
  10. If you can describe clearly without a diagram the proper way of making this or that knot, then you are a master of the English language.


More details about my books. Follow this link if you like Superheroes, Psychics and/or quirky short stories. 
I've listed the themes each novel touches on here for easy reference.

Like my author page on Facebook for news on new books and blog posts.

Follow me on Twitter and Pinterest
Check out my Writing blog

No comments:

Post a Comment