Friday 9 January 2015

January 9th: Simone de Beauvoir

This date in 1908 was the birth of Simone de Beauvoir, French writer. 10 things she said:


  1. Change your life today. Don't gamble on the future, act now, without delay.
  2. To catch a husband is an art; to hold him is a job.
  3. One is not born a woman, but becomes one.
  4. This has always been a man's world, and none of the reasons that have been offered in explanation have seemed adequate.
  5. If you live long enough, you'll see that every victory turns into a defeat.
  6. I am too intelligent, too demanding, and too resourceful for anyone to be able to take charge of me entirely. No one knows me or loves me completely. I have only myself.
  7. What an odd thing a diary is: the things you omit are more important than those you put in.
  8. I tore myself away from the safe comfort of certainties through my love for truth - and truth rewarded me.
  9. Few tasks are more like the torture of Sisyphus than housework, with its endless repetition: the clean becomes soiled, the soiled is made clean, over and over, day after day.
  10. I wish that every human life might be pure transparent freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment