Friday 30 January 2015

30th January: Frank Gelett Burgess

Frank Gelett Burgess, writer, critic and humorist, was born on January 30, 1866.


  1. Thinking a smile all the time will keep your face youthful.
  2. A woman and a mouse, they carry a tale wherever they go.
  3. Love is only chatter; friends are all that matter.
  4. Our bodies are apt to be our autobiographies.
  5. If in the last few years you haven't discarded a major opinion or acquired a new one, check your pulse. You may be dead.
  6. To appreciate nonsense requires a serious interest in life.
  7. There is work that is work and there is play that is play; there is play that is work and work that is play. And in only one of these lies happiness.
  8. I never saw a Purple Cow, I never hope to see one; But I can tell you, anyhow, I'd rather see than be one.
  9. Ah, yes, I wrote the "Purple Cow"— I'm Sorry, now, I wrote it; But I can tell you Anyhow I'll Kill you if you Quote it!
  10. Without bigots, eccentrics, cranks and heretics the world would not progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment