Sunday 2 April 2017

April 2nd: Emile Zola

French writer Emile Zola was born on this date in 1840. Here are some of his thoughts on life, truth and art.

  1. If you ask me what I came into this life to do, I will tell you: I came to live out loud.
  2. The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work.
  3. One forges one's style on the terrible anvil of daily deadlines.
  4. If I cannot overwhelm with my quality, I will overwhelm with my quantity.
  5. If you shut up truth, and bury it underground, it will but grow, and gather to itself such explosive power that the day it bursts through it will blow up everything in its way.
  6. In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it.
  7. The truth is on the march and nothing will stop it.
  8. I would rather die of passion than of boredom.
  9. My fiery protest is simply the cry of my very soul.
  10. Art is a corner of creation seen through a temperament.




Browse other topics I've covered in this blog - HERE.

Like my Facebook page for news of Topical Ten posts posts on my writing blog, a weekly writing quote and news of upcoming publications

No comments:

Post a Comment