Thursday 16 January 2014

January 16th: Prohibition Day

Today is the anniversary of the start of prohibition in the US in 1920. So here are 10 quotations about the demon drink:


Alcohol

  1. My doctor told me to watch my drinking, so now I do it in front of the mirror. Rodney Dangerfield
  2. What whisky will not cure, there is no cure for. Irish Proverb
  3. In the little moment that remains between the crisis and the catastrophe, we may as well drink a glass of champagne. Paul Claudel
  4. In victory, you deserve champagne. In defeat, you need it. Napoleon Bonaparte
  5. Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. Ernest Hemingway
  6. Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. George Bernard Shaw
  7. There are better things than alcohol. But alcohol makes up for not having them. Terry Pratchett
  8. So you went to the hospital about your alcoholism problem. That must have taken a lot of bottle. Judy Finnegan
  9. Wine is bottled poetry. Robert Louis Stephenson
  10. When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading. Henny Youngman



No comments:

Post a Comment