Monday 25 March 2024

26 March: Alfred Edward Housman Quotes

Alfred Edward Housman was born on this date in 1859, so here are 10 quotes from him:


  1. All knowledge is precious whether or not it serves the slightest human use.

  2. Three minutes' thought would suffice to find this out; but thought is irksome and three minutes is a long time.

  3. The house of delusions is cheap to build but drafty to live in.

  4. I, a stranger and afraid, in a world I never made.

  5. Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure.

  6. Give crowns and pounds and guineas But not your heart away; Give pearls away and rubies, But keep your fancy free.

  7. Whistle and I'll be there.

  8. Oh when I was in love with you, Then I was clean and brave, And miles around the wonder grew How well did I behave. And now the fancy passes by, And nothing will remain, And miles around they'll say that I Am quite myself again.

  9. I do not choose the right word, I get rid of the wrong one.

  10. Knowledge is good, method is good, but one thing beyond all others is necessary; and that is to have a head, not a pumpkin, on your shoulders and brains, not pudding, in your head.

No comments:

Post a Comment