Tuesday 31 May 2016

31st May: Walt Whitman

10 quotes from Walt Whitman, US writer, born on this date in 1819.


  1. Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
  2. I am as bad as the worst, but, thank God, I am as good as the best.
  3. I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
  4. I no doubt deserved my enemies, but I don't believe I deserved my friends.
  5. Every moment of light and dark is a miracle.
  6. To have great poets, there must be great audiences.
  7. Re-examine all that you have been told... dismiss that which insults your soul.
  8. A writer can do nothing for men more necessary, satisfying, than just simply to reveal to them the infinite possibility of their own souls.
  9. Those who love each other shall become invincible.
  10. Of all sad words, of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: 'It might have been.' Let's add this thought, unto this verse: 'It might have been a great deal worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment