Friday 3 April 2015

7th April: Billie Holiday

Today is Billie Holiday's birthday. Here are 10 things she said:

  1. I'm always making a comeback but nobody ever tells me where I've been.
  2. Somebody once said we never know what is enough until we know what's more than enough.
  3. If you copy, it means you're working without any real feeling. No two people on earth are alike, and it's got to be that way in music or it isn't music.
  4. Singing songs like The Man I Love or Porgy is no more work than sitting down and eating Chinese roast duck, and I love roast duck.
  5. If I don't have friends, then I ain't got nothing.
  6. They think they can make fuel from horse manure - now, I don't know if your car will be able to get 30 miles to the gallon, but it's sure gonna put a stop to siphoning.
  7. Mom and Pop were just a couple of kids when they got married. He was eighteen, she was sixteen and I was three.
  8. I never hurt nobody but myself and that's nobody's business but my own.
  9. Sometimes it's worse to win a fight than to lose.
  10. You've got to have something to eat, and a little love in your life before you can hold still for any damn body's sermon on how to behave.

No comments:

Post a Comment