Saturday 25 October 2014

25th October: Picasso's birthday

25 October 1881 was the birth of the artist Pablo Picasso, whose wife once said of his work, "If my husband would ever meet a woman on the street who looked like the women in his paintings, he would fall over in a dead faint." Here are 10 things that he said:


Portrait of Picasso by Juan Gris
  1. I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
  2. The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls.
  3. All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.
  4. Everything you can imagine is real.
  5. My mother said to me, 'If you are a soldier, you will become a general. If you are a monk, you will become the Pope.' Instead, I was a painter, and became Picasso.
  6. Colours, like features, follow the changes of the emotions.
  7. Painting is just another way of keeping a diary.
  8. The world today doesn't make sense, so why should I paint pictures that do?
  9. We don't grow older, we grow riper.
  10. There are only two types of women - goddesses and doormats.


No comments:

Post a Comment