Today, 10 quotes from Georgette Heyer, novelist, whose books include The Black Moth, The Convenient Marriage, Friday's Child, The Foundling, Arabella and April Lady. She was born on this date in 1902.
As soon as one promises not to do something, it becomes the one thing above all others that one most wishes to do.
When fate is got it in for you, there is no limit to what you may have to put up with.
But it is only in epic tragedies that gloom is unrelieved. In real life tragedy and comedy are so intermingled that when one is most wretched ridiculous things happen to make one laugh in spite of oneself.
It was growing late, and though one might stand on the brink of a deep chasm of disaster, one was still obliged to dress for dinner.
God knows I'm no saint, but I don't think I'm more of a sinner than any other man.
Don’t think that life’s sordid and cruel just because we’re going through a sort of horrible nightmare. It’ll pass.
There is always a thought of marriage between a single female and a personable gentleman, if not in his mind, quite certainly in hers.
In my experience, the human mind, when under the influence of fear, rushes round in frantic circles.
How the deuce would you know the right way to go on if you was never taught anything but the wrong way?
It’s wonderful, the harm I do every time I try to do good!


No comments:
Post a Comment